Pilgrim Home Cemetery, Holland
Pilgrim Home Cemetery Memorial Guide
Get Our "Helpful Questions To Ask The Cemetery" PDF
Schedule A Meeting With Our Grand Rapids Staff
About Pilgrim Home Cemetery
Pilgrim Home Cemetery is an outgrowth of the burial grounds of Holland’s first log church, built by the colonists in 1847. The log building was used for services until the congregation moved into its new building, the Pillar Church on Ninth Street, in 1857. The first recorded burial in the log church burial ground was September 21, 1854. The name officially became Pilgrim Home Cemetery on October 31, 1889.
In August 1877, the Holland Township Cemetery Association was formed to operate Fairlawn Cemetery on the south side of 16th Street, then the southern city limit. The first recorded burial was September 17, 1877. Fairlawn Cemetery operated until May 15, 1934, when it was deeded to the City of Holland, and became Pilgrim Home Cemetery Number 2.
Pilgrim Home expanded west of the old Fairlawn Cemetery, into the former fairgrounds area. The north half of the acreage was developed into Pilgrim Home Cemetery Number 3, opening in 1940. During the fall of 1991, half of the remaining land to the south was developed for the purpose of further expansion.